Concentr8 by William Sutcliffe – Blog Tour
Hello peoples! So today I get to be a part of the awesome book tour for Concentr8* by William Sutcliffe! I am doing a review for this book and no worries, it will be non – spoilery, I promise. But first, before I get into the review, let me share with you some book details:
In a not-so-distant future London, riots have become the norm. But when the government suddenly stops distributing Concentr8–a behavioral modification “miracle” drug akin to Ritalin–the city’s residents rise up fiercer than they ever have before.
Amidst the chaos, five teens pick a man seemingly at random and chain him up as a hostage in a warehouse. Blaze is their leader, and Troy has always been his quiet sidekick–the only person he has ever trusted. But even Troy didn’t see this coming, and as their story unfolds over six tense days, one thing is clear–none of them will ever be the same again.
Told from the perspective of multiple characters in a world familiar to our own, this searing look at a group of teens who push back from the margins of society is perfect for fans of thoughtful fiction like Panic and The Program series.
Sounds pretty interesting right? Well, here’s my review!
So this book was pretty great! There were somethings I was on the fence about but there was quite a bit of good….
- Characters: there was a relatively good amount of main characters which usually isn’t that great of a thing for me because things can get confusing fast. With this book though, it felt like there weren’t that many characters as you were reading which is probably the best thing for a reader to feel. Furthermore, with the way the book was set up (more on that in a bit), you got to understand each of the characters and why they make the choices and have the thoughts they do.
- POV/Writing Style: So the book’s chapters were actually different characters’ POVs and in each chapter it was a mix of the character’s thoughts and a bit of dialogue which was amazing. One of my favorite things in books is when there’s alternating POVs and the fact that you could fully see the characters’ thought processes were awesome to me! Some of the writing was confusing in the beginning as the younger characters talk a certain way (read the book and you’ll get what I mean) but after the first several pages, it’s all easy to understand.
- Plot: here’s the thing I was on the fence about. I thought the ideas behind the plot was pretty interesting but felt that sometimes the fact that you saw many characters’ POVs and there was deep thought processes took away from the plot in a way. Like, there was a bigger picture to everything but sometimes I couldn’t tell as it felt like there was no plot at times.
And now for a little bit about the author then an awesome giveaway!
ABOUT WILLIAM SUTCLIFFE:
William Sutcliffe is the author of the young adult novel The Wall, which was published in 2013 to much critical acclaim, including being short-listed for the 2014 Carnegie Medal and long-listed for the 2013 Guardian Fiction Prize. He also wrote five adult novels, including the international bestseller, Are You Experienced, and a middle-grade novel, Circus of Thieves and the Raffle of Doom. William currently lives in Edinburgh.
And now for the giveaway! Two (2) winners will receive finished copies of CONCENTR8! To enter the Rafflecopter, click here! Good luck!!!
And that’s all! Thank you to Bloomsbury Kids, William Sutcliffe and Hannah from Irish Banana for setting up the blog tour and letting me read the book! Thank you as well to you guys for reading this post and good luck in the giveaway! Have a great day/night and tata for now!
- 1/18: Who R U Blog – Guest Post
- 1/19: Reading Is Better With Cupcakes – Pocket Letter
- 1/20: A Book & A Latte – How I Write
- 1/21: Kelly Vision – Review
- 1/22: The Cover Contessa – Q&A
- 1/25: The Petite Book Blogger – Review
- 1/26: Go Read A Book – Top 10
- 1/27: Resch Reads & Reviews – Review
- 1/28: Emily Reads Everything – Q&A
- 1/29: Avid Reader – Review
*This is an affiliate link I have with Amazon 🙂