My Kind of Crazy by Robin Reul – Blog Tour
Hello peoples! So today I come to you with my review of My Kind of Crazy* by Robin Reul as part of the book’s blog tour! I will try to be as non spoilery as possible but I make no total promises. Before I get into the review though, let me share with you some book details:
My Kind of Crazy* by Robin Reul
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: April 5th 2016
Despite the best of intentions, seventeen-year old, wisecracking Hank Kirby can’t quite seem to catch a break. It’s not that he means to screw things up all the time, it just happens. A lot. Case in point: his attempt to ask out the girl he likes literally goes up in flames when he spells “Prom” in sparklers on her lawn…and nearly burns down her house.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, Peyton Breedlove, a brooding loner and budding pyromaniac, witnesses the whole thing. Much to Hank’s dismay, Peyton takes an interest in him—and his “work.” The two are thrust into an unusual friendship, but their boundaries are tested when Hank learns that Peyton is hiding some dark secrets, secrets that may change everything he thought he knew about Peyton.
Sound crazy eh? (hahahahaha – I had to) Well, now for the review:
So, by now, you probs already know that I love high school settings in books, esp when something like prom is involved. Therefore, when I opened up the book and saw that the first page starts with a promposal, I was all ~heart eyes~ and “whooo!!!”. Of course as I read the book, it grew from just prom – that became a secondary/back-story kind of – to some really real problems. My favorite things about all of this/the book was
- the main character, Hank – pretty much everything about Hank’s personality was awesome and I could feel that, if I was in his shoes, I would have the same human reactions to the situation(s) he was put it in and I love that.
- the friendship – it wasn’t perfect and it had it’s up and downs and there were times when they probs wanted to leave each other but they also stayed together and had each other’s backs (for most of it) and I liked that quite a bit. I liked it because it feels like it could parallel many of the friendships I have (had) so I liked the real-ness of it.
There was one thing that did surprise me though and that was how much I wanted to jump in and hug at least one of the characters. If you read the book (and you should), then you’ll see that some of the characters have real problems and several times in the book, I just wanted to somehow jump in and make everything better. It only surprised me because in most books, I don’t really have that feeling so it was interesting that I did here….
Aaaand that’s it for my part in this awesome blog tour, but guess what? There’s a giveaway for you guys!! You can win (1) of 3 Finished Copies of MY KIND OF CRAZY (US Only)! To enter the Rafflecopter, click here!
Good luck to all in the giveaway! In the meantime, check out the author below, follow her on social media and then check out the tour hosts!
ABOUT ROBIN REUL:
Robin Reul has been writing since she was in early elementary school, when she used to make her own book club flyers for her classmates and then pen them original stories. Though she grew up on movie sets and worked for many years in the film and television industry both as an actress and in motion picture development, she ultimately decided to focus her attention on writing young adult novels. She likes to write the same kinds of stories she loved as a teen: the ones that give her with butterflies in her stomach and are filled with quirky, memorable characters who stay with the reader long after the story ends. When she’s not writing, Robin can be found single-handedly driving up the profit margin of her local Starbucks and indulging her love of baked goods, particularly those in the key of pumpkin. She lives in Los Angeles suburbia with her husband, son and daughter.
Thanks, have a great day/night and tata for now! Thank you to Hannah from Irish Banana and Robin for organizing this blog tour and letting me review the book! And thank you wonderful readers for reading the post! Before you leave though, follow the rest of the tour!
- 3/28: Novel Ink – Review
- 3/29: Swoony Boys Podcast – Character Interview
- 3/30: Kelly Vision – Review
- 3/31: Addicted 2 Novels – Top 10
- 4/1: Avid Reader – Review
- 4/2: Behind Closed Covers – Review
- 4/4: No BS Book Reviews – Q&A
- 4/5: Fiction Fare – Review
- 4/6: Actin’ Up With Books – Playlist
- 4/7: Arctic Books – Review
- 4/8: A Book & A Latte – How I Write
- 4/9: The Irish Banana Review – Review
*This is an affiliate link I have with Amazon 🙂