I Believe In A Thing Called Love by Maureen Goo – Review & Playlist
*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon*
Hello everyone!! So today I am part of the blog tour for I Believe In A Thing Called Love* by Maureen Goo and, for it, I am reviewing the book! As well, being the hopeful romantic I am, as well as a huge lover of music, I thought I would share my top 5 lovey-dovey songs so stick around until the end for that! Before I get into my (non-spoilery) review and mini playlist, though, I thought I’d share the synopsis with you via Goodreads:
Desi Lee knows how carburetors work. She learned CPR at the age of five. As a high school senior, she has never missed a day of school and has never had a B in her entire life. She’s for sure going to Stanford. But—she’s never had a boyfriend. In fact, she’s a disaster in romance, a clumsy, stammering humiliation-magnet whose botched attempts at flirting have become legendary with her friends. So when the hottest human specimen to have ever lived walks into her life one day, Desi decides to tackle her flirting failures with the same zest she’s applied to everything else in her life. She finds her answer in the Korean dramas her father has been obsessively watching for years—where the hapless heroine always seems to end up in the arms of her true love by episode ten. It’s a simple formula, and Desi is a quick study. Armed with her “K Drama Rules for True Love,” Desi goes after the moody, elusive artist Luca Drakos—and boat rescues, love triangles, and fake car crashes ensue. But when the fun and games turn to true feels, Desi finds out that real love is about way more than just drama.
Okay now for the review:
- Plot (A): So like I said above, I’m quite the romantic however, like Desi, I kinda don’t have the best luck in love so when I read the synopsis for this I was already head over heels in love with this book! Going into it, I loved it even more! I mean, I get quite a bit of love ‘advice’ from tv shows and I kind of have my own mini plan – not as big as Desi’s though that’s for sure! – so I think it’s cool that there is a book that talks about the real, awkward experiences and thoughts that Desi had as they’re quite similar to mine. As well, there was art involved in the book so I was like extra happy about that because I’m an artist so I definitely loved that! I will say that her plan was a bit insane at one part – I was like half mad at her for it – but I think overall the plot was cute and pretty dang good!
- Characters (A-): Okay so Desi and the relationships she had with other characters was so good like it felt so real and interesting and I mean there was like one or two cliche parts but it doesn’t really matter because overall everything was just GOOD! Like everyone seemed pretty complex and there were stories involved with people and I thought it was cool how the plot kind of brought out the characters different experiences and I just liked them all. I do gotta say though, my fave is Desi’s dad.
Overall, it was an absolutely wonderful and sweet read that I highly recommend you buy and read like now!!! It’s the perfect not-so-perfect romance that YA certainly needs and that I definitely wanted so definitely check I Believe In A Thing Called Love* out!!!
Now, like I said above, I really love music and I love romance so below are five of my favorite romance/love-y songs that I couldn’t help but think of when I read I Believe In A Thing Called Love:
- Over and Over Again by Nathan Sykes and Ariana Grande
- In The Name of Love by Bebe Rexha and Martin Garrix
- Love Robbery by Kalin & Myles
- There’s Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes
- Something Different by Why Don’t We
And that’s all! Thank you to Brittany from Macmillan and Maurene for organizing this blog tour and letting me review the book! Now, how excited are you to read the book? And if you’ve already read it, what’d you think (no spoilers though!!!) And lastly thoughts on the playlist??? Let me know in the comments below! Also don’t forget to read I Believe In A Thing Called Love* and check out the other lovely posts/blogs on the blog tour below! Thanks, have a great day/night and tata for now!!
*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon 😀