One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake – Spoiler Review
trigger warning: assault
*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon*
Hello peepsies! So this past January, over winter break, I read Three Dark Crowns* by Kendare Blake. It’d been out for a while already and I saw several people were picking it up and loving it so I decided I’d do the same. AND OMG SUCH A GOOD DECISION! It was sooooo good; so original and so interesting and fun and goodness gracious you guys need to read it! And then I went to Book Con and on day two of BC, I straight up SPRINTED to Harper Teen because the second book, One Dark Throne*, was there and I read it and guys GUYS it was AWESOME! Somehow it was even better than Three Dark Crowns! I do have one thing I’m not too fond of about it – and that will be discussed later – but otherwise, it was GOOD! Now, before I get into my very spoilery review for One Dark Throne – seriously, DON’T READ PAST THIS POINT IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THREE DARK CROWNS AND ONE DARK THRONE YET – and tell you why/how it was so amazing, here’s the synopsis for it via Goodreads:
The battle for the Crown has begun, but which of the three sisters will prevail?
With the unforgettable events of the Quickening behind them and the Ascension Year underway, all bets are off. Katharine, once the weak and feeble sister, is stronger than ever before. Arsinoe, after discovering the truth about her powers, must figure out how to make her secret talent work in her favor without anyone finding out. And Mirabella, once thought to be the strongest sister of all and the certain Queen Crowned, faces attacks like never before—ones that put those around her in danger she can’t seem to prevent.
In this enthralling sequel to Kendare Blake’s New York Times bestselling Three Dark Crowns, Fennbirn’s deadliest queens must face the one thing standing in their way of the crown: each other.
Doesn’t it sound AWESOME!?!?! Ahhhhhh it is!!!!! And here’s why…..
- Cool to see Katharine be who she is and embrace her poisoning but will naturalist be more explored?
- Arsinoe was awesome to have Braddock and it was nice to see her start to explore her poisoning gift though I feel bad for the boys. I do also want more about her poisoning gift though
- Mirabella felt very innocent throughout Three Dark Crowns and quite a bit of One Dark Throne so I liked when she finally took control and challenged the duel
- For the boys:
- Pietyr is eh (I didn’t like him after what happened in TDC)
- Nicolas was so not shippable with Katherine…..he was way too brutal for her. I do find it interesting about Katherine essentially being made of poison at the end
- Billy was cute with Arsinoe so i definitely ship them. I was sad to see Billy leave to go to Mirabella and i thought that might be either really boring or Billy and Mirabella would be made to fall for each other too and it’s turn into some weird love triangle but they didn’t and I was so happy. I liked that Billy and Mirabella became sort of friends and were going to honour Arsinoe (when they thought she was dead) by marrying each other and taking down Katherine.
- Joseph was still consistently ugh like bruh you cheated on Jules and so I was so happy that Jules gave him the hard time he deserved because you don’t cheat on people and expect it to go all happy. Tbh I’d have left him forevsies but I understand why she didn’t as he was the apparently love of her life but still smh at Joseph. The only time I had a mild respect for him was when he actually sat and apologized and felt like he knew what he did was wrong. I mean he shouldn’t have cheated in the first place and honestly, an apology isn’t all that should have happened but I’m happy he finally took it upon himself to not just whine about it or give a quick I’m sorry but to actually sit there and apologize like he meant it.
- I loved loved loved how actiony the plot was this time. Like things happened faster than they did in TDC which makes sense bc you don’t need to (majorly) setup the characters/world in a second book but yeah I really enjoyed how events were happening at a pretty good pace…not too fast, not too slow.
- I really liked the festivals and the hunt and the duels and the ball that happened as those were kind of unexpected. Well the festival’s weren’t that unexpected but it was all good. I especially loved how confident Katherine was during the events like yes girl yes! I mean I kinda stopped rooting for her once I saw how evil she was – team Arsinoe (and mainly team Braddock) now! – but yeah I loved how confident she was in her evilness
- I’m so so so so mad for what happened with Natalia and William like when we were introduced to them I was a bit creeped out bu I was also happy for them if they were happy together BUT THEN WILLIAM ASSAULTED AND KILLED NATALIA AND I – UGH WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?!?!?!? I’m happy William is at least gone but goshdarnit I’m mad at William for doing that and I’m wondering why exactly Kendare had to set it up like that. Idk it felt unnecessary for it to be that violent especially considering there’s no trigger warning for people who might have faced domestic violence/would be triggered by seeing it in a book. It would have made more sense and just in general been better if he had poisoned her maybe? Or if she just didn’t die at all and he did maybe?!?!? Idk but the violence was unnecessary to me.
- The end of the book was interesting, especially so I can’t wait to know what happens next. Like A, M and B are on the mainland so what’s gonna happen there?!?!? And Jules went back so what’s gonna happen to her and her war gift?!?!? And what’s Katherine gonna do about her being so poisony but also be a naturalist?!?!?! Also, since Katherine is made of poison but is a naturalist, and Arsinoe is a poisoner but can do low magic and (kinda) has Braddock, does that mean Mirabella will have something extra too?And then apparently all three queens (or rather the one queen and 2 former queens) are supposed to be in the same place again in the next book like okay how what when and why!??!?!
Overall I absolutely loved One Dark Throne*. I thought it was (somehow) even better than three dark crowns and just was written really well. Again, though, my only criticism is how Natalia and William’s death played out. I thought it was unnecessary how violent it was – or at least how long the violence was written for – and wish that at least a trigger warning be added and also that the amount of violence be written less. Anyways, have you guys read Three Dark Crowns and/or One Dark Throne?? If so, what did you guys think?? And who are/were you rooting for? Let me know in the comments below!! Thanks, have a great day/night and tata for now!!
*this post includes affiliate links I have with Amazon 😀