2018 End of Year Wrap-Up + 2019 Goals
Hello everyone! So it is December 31st, 2018 aka the last day before 2019 begins and, honestly, it’s been a pretty wonderful year. Today, I’m taking the time to look back at 2018 to go over what happened and see what worked & what didn’t. I really liked the way I did my wrap up last year, so I’m going to break it down in the same kind of way with this post having four major categories: Blogging, Business, Personal and Looking Ahead. I hope you enjoy reading through my journey and I can’t wait to see what you think….
Note: ALHLA = alhamdulillah = thank God ; ISA = inshallah = if God wills/a better version of hopefully ; MSA = mashallah = praising God/appreciation of something
Follower count (in comparison to 2017): 860 (+128)
2018 total page views (in comparison to 2017): 11,393 (-2254)
2018 total visitors (in comparison to 2017): 8206 (+1676)
2018 total likes (in comparison to 2017): 516 (+90)
2018 total comments (in comparison to 2017): 119 (+5)
Top 3 Posts of 2018:
- Book Publicity Contacts Directory
- DISCUSSION: All About ARCs (Advance Reader Copies)
- Fireblood by Elly Blake – Spoilerish Review
Other Posts I’m Proud Of/Especially Loved Making*:
- DISCUSSION: Writing Tools, Resources & Tips
- Book Con: FAQs, Advice & Tips
- DISCUSSION: 15+ Blogger Website Tips & Tricks
- Prime Day 2018: Get In On All The Bookish Deals!
- DISCUSSION: The Magic of Pre-Order Incentives
- BTS: Pick A Bias, Pick A Book
- All The References You Missed In The Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer + Theories
*I know I only had 3 last year but I am REALLY proud of these posts like, go me for writing these!!!
Social Media Stats (in comparison to 2016):
- Twitter – 3072 (+207)
- Goodreads – 500 (+42)
- Instagram (for the blog) – 330 (-27)
- Instagram (for my photography) – 202 (+124)
- Pinterest – 131 (+26)
Additionally, I’ve continued working with Macmillan to review up and coming ARCs and, y’all, Macmillan has to be my favourite publisher to work with thus far. I mean, I love all the publishers but I’ve gotten to work with so many people from the Macmillan team and they’re so sweet! I always love getting an email from them. Shout out to the lovely, amazing publicists and people over at Macmillan; y’all are STELLAR!
So 2018 was kind of actually really awesome for business: though I didn’t think I’d make all that much from em, I actually went over my revenue goal for the year ALHLA. Plus, I added probably my most favourite business yet, freelance marketing for authors! In it, I help authors – and, in 2019, I’m opening it up to bloggers! – spread the word about them and their book. (For all you bloggers out there, the book part would be switched for your blogs lol) I love marketing so much and I’m so happy I was finally able to start this business. I’m definitely continuing it in 2019 so tell your friends, your family, especially you authors and bloggers: this Angel is here to help you reach book & blog heaven lol 😉 Anyways, here’s more of what I did with my other businesses:
- Added more fandom art to my Society 6 and Red Bubble shops but not as much as I would’ve liked so hopefully I get more art out in 2019! Nonetheless, my most favourite design this year is one I did three days ago: Expresso Patronum! Check it out on Society 6 here, and on Red Bubble here!
- I am still a part of Amazon affiliates and, unlike last year, I focused on this more and implemented it into more blog posts. In the end, I did quite well with it ALHLA and I’m sure I can do even better in 2019 ISA
On the whole, ALHLA, 2018 was a really good year for business but wow I could have done soooo much more! So, I’m looking forward to 2019 and seeing where things go…ISA it will be even better!
On a personal level, 2018 was also quite a whirlwind of good and bad, and of course, due to privacy reasons, I can’t tell you about most of it. But, here’s what I can tell you happened (excuse me if I get vague):
- I started boxing which has been a dream of mine since I first saw the amazingness that is Black Widow. I wanted to be just as strong as her and so many other of my fave characters and boxing was my thing and it’s so much fun!!!
- Of course, I also started working out more in general and pushing myself and dang y’all…I’m strong MSA!
- I learned about myself even MORE physically, mentally, emotionally (ALHLA)
- I got out of my dream space and got to actually work on my photography and better myself and actually travelled with friends and family to do photoshoots which you can see on my photo IG (ALHLA)
- I went to BookCon again and had a blastttttt ALHLA I got to hang out with so many of my blogger friends and we became even closer through it all *cough Penguin Teen mob cough* and I will never forget it!
And so many more amazing things and not-so-good (well, at the time it wasn’t but wow did I learn a lot) things, all of which have made 2018 a pretty awesome year regardless ALHLA
Overall, in 2018, I feel like I actually started becoming who I want to be when I grow up. Like I took initiative more and broke out of my shell and just became more me. What a glow-up lol Seriously though, I’m looking at last year’s wrap up and, in it, I say “Looking ahead in 2018, I want to just do. I feel like, at least by the end of 2017, I’ve gotten more complacent (even with the risks) so I want to do more in 2018 to build myself up in all the ways I can.” To know that I did that – that I’ve taken risks, gone out of my comfort zone, done stuff I’ve only dreamed and planned in my head and wanted to do….well, it’s kind of beautiful actually. I didn’t realize how much of myself I’ve become in the last year but I really am a better human being ALHLA/MSA aaaand now I’m tearing up at 1 am lol anyways, looking back, 2018 was everything I wanted and more so ALHLA ALHLA ALHLA
I’m really excited for 2019. It feels like a good, happier year ISA. In 2019, I just want to be better. I want to do better, I want to do more, and I want to see more ISA. I guess that’s my motto for 2019: be better, do more, see more.
Keeping these in mind, the main goals I want to reach in 2019 are:
- make over $750 from my combined businesses
- build up my freelance marketing (for authors and bloggers) business more
- see if I can get my art into subscription boxes and/or work with authors for my art to be a part of their promo/marketing/preorder things (comment below, email me or tweet me so we can talk about this if you might be down to work with me)
- query my poetry book (? maybe ?) and finish one of my other books
- connect with more people and build up my current relationships
- work with more publishers, companies, authors, small businesses, and bloggers
- take more risks
- travel more and visit more places whether it’s down the street or on the other side of the world
Now, in my last wrap up, I said something about goals that stayed with me all of 2018 in some way and shaped me to be better so I’m saying it again, as a reminder for both me and you: don’t be afraid of the future and don’t stay within the realm of possibilities and be complacent. Go for your goals and achieve as many steps as you can take to get there. You may not be able to complete all or even any of your goals at all within 2019 but, if you at least start on them and complete some steps, then you’re one step closer to doing it.
Keeping this in mind, I ask you, what can I do in 2019 to make reading Avid Reader, my art shops (Red Bubble and Society 6), and/or connecting with me a lot better? What did you like/dislike in 2018 and what do you want me to change in 2019? As well, if you want to maybe collab with me, definitely let me know as I would love to collab either on the blog, via art or with the freelance marketing!
Anyway, thank you guys for supporting Avid Reader and myself through it all. It’s been a pretty awesome year for me but, regardless of how your year was, we both got through it ALHLA; we’ve survived and we’ve learned and we can be better, I promise you that. Here’s hoping that 2019 will be better and more interesting in a good way. Thank you all for everything, have a great day/night and see you in the new year ;)! Tata for now!