#LEVELUP: SEO Basics for Beginners
Hello everyone! If you haven’t heard, I have a new weekly blog series called “Level Up” where, every Sunday, I’d touch on a way to take your blog and/or business to the next level. You can check out all the other posts in the series here!
Today on the blog, I’m talking about a term that’s thrown around a lot: SEO. It’s pretty easy to do once you’ve got the hang of it and it can be fun to learn about but there’s just soooo many words and advice that it is a bit of a learning curve. So, for today, I thought I’d breakdown the basics of SEO, specifically what it is, why should you care, and how to get started with it!
- Keyword: a word or phrase that is (ideally) relevant to your content
- External linking: linking to another website
- Backlink: when another website links back to you
- In-linking: linking to another post or page on your website
- Permalink: the entire URL of your post or page
- Slug: the specific part of the URL that you can change
- Broken link: when a link doesn’t take you to where it should. Sometimes it’s due to the website being down, the URL being changed, or the post/page being deleted
What Is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization which is exactly as it sounds, making a website or, specifically, a post or page on your website, more accessible for search engines like Google, Bing or Pinterest (yes, Pinterest is a search engine).
Why Should You Care About SEO?
We will go more in-depth to SEO in following Level Up posts but the idea is that the more accessible your website is to Google, for example, the higher chance that it will “like you” and show your website closer to/on the first page of searches. Personally, I don’t go farther than maybe the third page of the search results and most people tend to the same so if you aren’t in those three pages, people will not find your website as easily.
Of course, you can use social media to access your audience – and I definitely do that – but it should not be the only way to do so. If you don’t believe me, take a look at the picture above which shows my top three blog referrers – aka ways people find my blog – for 2019….the primary referrers are people who straight up search a few keywords and ultimately find my blog and then it’s Twitter, and even then it only gives half the views that searching does.
How to Get Started With SEO
Like I said, the next few weeks will be alllll about SEO and how to make your website SEO-friendly but, for now, here are three quick ways you can get started with SEO:
- use keywords in your blog post titles – check Pinterest for what people frequently use in their titles that’s relevant to the content you want to post
- add external links and interlinks to your posts and pages
- at the same time, check your external links to see if you have any broken links – you can manually go through your blog and check the links themselves but that can take forever. I use the free Broken Link Checker which will go through your entire website and check for you which links are broken and WHERE on your blog they’re broken. From there, you can change the link or delete it.
Aaaand that’s all for the SEO basics breakdown! Don’t worry, though, there will be much more in the coming weeks for how to make your website more SEO-friendly and get alllll those views! For now, though, congrats, we Leveled Up!! Now, what questions do you still have about SEO?? Let me know in the comments below and I’ll make sure to answer! Feel free to also share the post(s)!
And, if you have any questions now or at any point in the Level Up series or if there’s something you generally or specifically want me to talk about, feel free to comment below, tweet me @AvidReaderBlog, or email me at email@example.com! Thanks, have a great day/night, and tata for now!